Translate

Monday, July 9, 2012

Pickled garlic... and I'm so proud that I've kept up my blog for a month and four days!



It is the last day of garlic month and I am a little disappointed with myself that I did not keep up with my ambition. That is, to submit a recipe that includes garlic for every day of garlic month. But alas, what can I do now? I know. I'll go pickle some garlic.

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 bulbs of garlic
170 mL glass jar with metal lid

1/2 cup rice wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
4 tbsp white wine (I used Chardonnay, it was the only white sitting in my fridge!)
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp whole peppercorns
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 lime leaves

Chop away the stem part of the garlic bulbs and soak in water for about 10 - 15 mins. The skins should come off much easier. Dry the peeled cloves and place inside glass jar.

Heat vinegar and wine with chili flakes, peppercorns, sugar, salt and lime leaves until boiled. Turn off heat and let cool about 1 mins, then pour into jar. Screw on lid and store in fridge for about 1 week before opening. Once opened, keep in fridge, they are good for probably at least several weeks.

In about a week or so, I'll get some pungent robust flavours from these cloves but until then, I'll keep blogging on about other cooking experiments :)

Thanks for visiting my blog!


4 comments:

  1. I love pickled garlic!! I've never attempted to make my own - not quite sure why! I'll definitely give your recipe a go this weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm pickled garlic. Might have to give this a go! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure! I picked up this trick from my mom during her pickling phase - we had pickled ginger root, pickled black beans, pickled red chili peppers (the vinegar itself was super yummy), pickled beets, pickled lemons, and pickled carrots all sitting there pickling at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy! Did you manage to complete all the options of your website on your own or you needed some extra help?

    ReplyDelete